Sunday, October 21, 2007

His Hands are up!

Lucas has been so unwell (not all the time, but a lot of the time) since his 2 month vaccination against rotavirus. I HATE the term colic. It doesn't explain dramatically enough the symptoms he has been experiencing. It is an umbrella term used by GPs to describe "tummy discomfort". Poor Lucas for almost 3 months now has been waking in his sleep pulling his knees up crunching his body over into a banana shape wincing and crying in pain, doing toxic smelling explosive sounding thunderous man farts and diarrhea that smells so bad it's unbelievable it can come from such a beautiful little creature. Some nights he will only sleep with a hot pack snuggled into him while he's being cuddled in an upright position. I then lay him down to sleep and before long it comes on again!

Then, about 3 weeks ago he seemed a lot worse and didn't want to be sat in his favourite bouncy chair or even in his pram. I had to hold him and wear him in the sling and even then he grizzled. Then he got a fever (around 40 degrees) on the Friday afternoon. I took him to the local GP (Friday pm of a long weekend is the worst time to find a caring doctor) who checked his ears and throat and said his throat was a bit red but wouldn't be causing such severe symptoms. He said there was no point taking him to Princess Margaret Hospital and to "watch him over the weekend" whatever the hell that's supposed to mean! I voiced my concern at his ongoing toxic smelling farts/poo and that I felt that the vaccination was related to it. He offered to do a urine test since the urine smelled bad too. I asked for fast results, but he said we would have to wait for the Tuesday for the results. Well, Tuesdays results showed e.coli infection with white blood cells meaning he was fighting an infection - probably urinary tract. Another doctor on the Tuesday told me with such a high fever and UTI, he should have been treated with IV antibiotics in hospital and that he may well now have kidney damage!!! Another subsequent test showed e.coli present still so we put him on oral antibiotics and last Friday he had an ultrasound of the kidneys. She wouldn't tell me much but admitted that the left one was dilated. At my 20 week ultrasound a slightly dilated kidney was detected but at 34 weeks I was told it was resolved and didn't require further follow up. Against my instincts, I didn't check it again as I was told it was not necessary and I didn't want to cause extra hassle/expense with 3 kids to look after. If you know me, you'll know I am torturing myself with guilt for not following my instinct and getting those kidneys checked. Now we have to wait for Friday's paediatrician visit to see what next.

The only small relief (well kinda big) is that Lucas had his best night sleep last night in weeks. I put him in his proper cot in his own room a few nights ago and he doesn't seem to mind it at all. I think he loves his room (which I love so much,). It used to be my home office and I have (with mum & dad's help while I was preggers) transformed it into a beautiful baby boys room with soft aqua blue colours and designers guild jungle japes theme. Last night I fed him a bottle at around 11pm and he slept until 3am. He then had a breast-feed then slept till 6am. This is amazing. I just put him down for an afternoon nap and for the first time in months, he is sleeping like an angel with his fists up high around his head. The is a sign of real relaxation. He doesn't have a stern pained look on his face. Even though he is still refluxing and doing huge vomits from time to time (usually over the nearest remote control), I am just so happy that he is sleeping peacefully for more than 1.5 hours in a stretch and finally looking relaxed.

Aaaaaahhhhh, the small things that bring me happiness.

I'm praying that the kidney thing is nothing serious and that he's on his way to better quality of life.....for us all.

No comments: